My Pappaw was special. He never ceased to amaze me with what he did or what he said. Day to day, you never knew what he was going to be like. But, I DID know how much love he had for his family, especially my Mammaw. She was his world. She was his reason for living. When she died, part of him died with her, then just 6 weeks later, he joined her in heaven.
It was seven years ago today that we had spent the day at the nursing home. He hadn't been feeling well, so he was in a hospital bed in his room. He hadn't been respondent that day, but I thought it was because he was being stubborn. It seemed like he knew what was going on in the room and what people were saying.
It was the Sunday night of the Super Bowl game, and I was staying at my sister's apartment with her dog while she was snow skiing with her husband. I had been at the nursing home all day, so I decided to get back to my sister's. Little did I know that I was saying good-bye to him for the last time.
I remember my Mom calling me, telling me to come back, as he started to go downhill after everyone had left. I had seen my Mammaw die just 6 weeks prior to that day, and on the way back to the nursing home, I asked the Lord for enough courage to make it through, because honestly - it is hard to see someone die. Especially someone you are so close to. But by the time I got there, he was already gone. He was already rejoicing with my Mammaw in heaven, loving on her and his parents and siblings. How I long for the day I will see them again.
So many people take their grandparents for granted. And, if you think about it, I'm pretty young to not have any grandparents left on this earth. Grandparents are so special. I would give anything to have them back on this earth. But, I know one of these days, we will all be reunited and I will get that special smile and hug from my Pappaw...and my Mammaw will be eagerly awaiting her turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment