Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sweetness in a Box

As you've probably figured out by now, I let out my frustrations, anger, depression, grief, etc by baking. So, since I seem to be going through all of the above right now...I baked a cake...and it is the yummiest cake I have ever had. I was craving a cake, but when I looked in my pantry, I had cake mixes, but no icing - and I needed something sweet! I went on a recipe search online and found this recipe on pillsbury.com. It is a moist, yummy, easy cake that uses ingredients you should already have in your frig and pantry. Next time you get a craving for cake, I highly recommend you make this one. You will not regret it!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Generously grease a 12-cup fluted tube pan (bundt pan) with shortening and light flour. In a medium bowl, beat cake mix, milk, peanut butter, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer at low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Then begin to beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into greased and floured pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack or heatproof serving plate. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.

If desired, you can make an icing for the cake by melting 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter and 1 bag (6 oz) semisweet choclate chips in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Drizzle warm icing over top of cooled cake, allowing some to drip down the sides. Sprinkle peanuts over icing for decorative touch.

I had everything to make the icing, but after tasting the cake without it, I don't think it needs icing. Here is a pic of the finished product...I think I'll go have me a piece now. Enjoy!

No comments: