Thursday, June 18, 2009

100,000 Miles

Today I hit the dreaded 100,000 miles on my car. Yes, I dreaded it because that means my car is getting old (its almost 10 years old), but after hitting it, I’m reminded of all the good (and bad) times I’ve had in my car.

* It has been filled with the presence of family and friends. There is ample room for all of them and it’s great to have when going places.

* I have been out of town and state in this car numerous times. In fact, one day about 2 years ago, I just got in my car and drove to Stillwater – the one and only time I have ever been there! Its Cowboy country, you know! ;) But anyway, on my way back home, I drove through Perkins and Langston, and eventually made a stop in Guthrie to walk around and tour this small town. It was an amazing day – something I will remember the rest of my life.

* I had a special baby in this car. No, I didn’t have this baby myself, but after Tyler was born, he would ride in my car with me on the few days I watched him. To this day, he loves to get in my car and leave those small handprints all over the windows!

* I have 3 door dings and I know exactly who gave them to me. The first one I got on a Sunday morning at church, then the other 2 I got from co-workers at work. What is so bad – I have always had an assigned parking spot, so I know exactly who it was that I got those door dings from. I’ve always wished I had the courage to say something to them about it, or give them a door ding back, but I can’t. A simple “sorry” would have eliminated the anger and strife I have against them today… (Our office took the color spectrum test about a year ago and it came out that I’m a gold. “Gold” people take revenge rather than try and work things out. Thought I would explain my reasoning behind the “I’m going to give you a door ding back!”)

* I was assaulted in this car. We won’t go into detail about that day – it’s too disturbing to remember. But, that incident made me afraid to drive my car for over 3 months. Thankfully my parents were able to trade cars with me during that horrible time!

* I had a tire blow out in this car about a year ago. One of the scariest days in my life!

* I had my very first date in this car. In fact, there are numerous guys that have driven my car. And, I’ve never been afraid of them driving it – I’ve trusted them all!

As you can tell, I love this car. I remember the day I bought it – I knew I wanted a Honda Accord, but not sure if I wanted the 2 or 4 door. I remember my Mom saying to me at the dealership “Becky, one of these days you will have a family, and it will be nice to have a 4 door. This is a car you will keep for a very long time.” I didn’t know that 9 years later, I still wouldn’t be married or have a family. But, everyone that has been in my car I consider family. My car will forever and always be my “dream car”.

Here’s to the next 100,000 miles! Well, I’ve somehow got to come up with $1000 to replace the timing belt and everything else that comes with having an old car to get to that 200,000 mark. Sigh…

No comments: