Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Angel Food

I had heard of Angel Food in the past, but never thought I would be someone that could benefit from it. Afterall, I am not on welfare and I don't live on food stamps. However, Angel Food is for anyone and everyone, so I thought I would give it a try this past month.

Angel Food is a ministry that provides people with a box of food for a low cost. Once you pay the basic cost (which is around $30), you can add extras, such as a meat box, fruit and veggie box, etc. The menu is different every month and you don't have to commit doing it all the time. I found a church about 3 miles from me provided it, so I got online and researched it. You can actually place your order online, so there is no talking to anyone who makes you feel guilty about doing it. I will admit that I was afraid of that. I mean, I make good money, live in a nice house and all, but towards the end of the month, I usually don't have anything to eat and I'm out of money (see last month's post with the pic of my empty frig).

So, I bit the bullet and did it. It cost me $48 and this is what all I got:





I know the pictures aren't that great, but the boxes consisted of steaks, chicken, lasagna, beef patties, ground beef, milk, eggs, peanut butter, rice, beans, french fries, hot dogs, cheese, butter, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, squash, zuchinni, mangoes, potatoes, onions, oranges, kiwi, corn on the cob, cantaloupe, watermelon, a peach pie, etc, etc, etc.

When I went to pick up the food on Saturday, all I had to do was drive around to the back of the church, a guy met me at my car, asked me for my receipt, then he went inside and brought back the two boxes of food. I didn't have to lift a finger nor did I even have to get out of my car! And, the people working were so nice and it made for a great first time experience. All in all, I was only gone from my house for a maximum of 10 minutes.

Today is my 5th day to eat on this food and I still have an abundance of it in my frig and pantry. I'm not going to starve after all! :) But, the purpose of this posting is to let you know it is available to anyone and everyone and depending on the month's menu, it is well worth the cost for the food you get! I am super excited about using it this month and look forward to using it again.

If you want to learn more about Angel Food or to find a location near you, please visit http://www.angelfoodministries.com/. Make sure to pay attention to the order deadline date - it is very important! And of course, if you have any questions about it, feel free to e-mail me. It is a wonderful ministry and more than likely, something I will get involved in during the near future.
Oh...and here is a glimpse of what I cooked for dinner tonight with the food from Angel Food. I had grilled potatoes, squash, zuchinni, onions (the only way I'll eat them is grilled) and corn. Mmm mmm good!

No comments: