I've wrote about a toxic friendship I have here and here. But did I ever do anything about it? No. I didn't.
But I'm about to.
For years this person has hurt me. I've been thinking lately - is it me? Have I changed? Has she changed?
Maybe we've both changed.
It is so hard for me to say goodbye to this friendship, as the Bible is full of verses on how to be a friend to someone. But, the Bible also tells us:
Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? (2 Cor 6:14-15)
and
I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. (Romans 16:17)
Keep away from them? Really? Why had I not seen this verse before? You say it's easy to keep away, but that is one of the hardest parts.
I feel like I'm going through a break-up with a boyfriend. You know...the kind of boyfriend that you've had for a while, but your relationship started going downhill. You tried hard to be perfect around this person, but you were tired of being perfect. You were tired of living a life that you know you didn't want to live anymore. You were tired of smiling when all you were doing was hurting inside. You didn't really want to break-up with him because he had been a part of your life for so long, but yet he was unhealthy for you.
The Bible tells us that we are transformed by the "renewing of our minds". As in, the further you grow in God's word and His will for your life, the more He will transform you into the person He wants you to be, and He will renew your mind to reflect that. This person has been holding me back. She has been a negative influence on my life. My mind is not being renewed.
I need to be renewed. I need God to put the right friends in my life. The friends that will have a positive influence on me. The friends that will help me grow in Him.
Saying goodbye to my friend will be one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I cannot make excuses anymore.
It has to be done.
Soon.
I'm already dreading the days and weeks ahead without this person in my life. But, as with all things in my life, this is just a season.
This is my time to mourn and weep.
This is my time to let God renew me.
This is my time to let go and let God.
As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (Prov 27:17)
No comments:
Post a Comment