Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Break

This week in Oklahoma has been the week of Spring Break for all of the schools. Ironic, isn't it, that Spring Break was this past week but today is the first day of Spring? I think someone goofed on the calendar. I mean, we've had some good weather days this week, but we've also had a few cold and windy days. Oh well. I don't even know what the forecast is for this coming week.

When I was growing up, my sister and I spent quite a few Spring Breaks at our grandparents house in Kingston (down by Lake Texoma). Those were always the best - a week of my Mammaw's homemade cooking; her scratching my back until I fell asleep; spending hours up at the shop that my Pappaw owned, watching him fix everyone's cars; playing baseball in the rain with my cousins; going fishing in the backyard pond. Those were the days.

The last Spring Break I spent with them - I was 17 years old. I was driving then and had my own car, but my sister and I decided to spend our week down there. So we did. And it was the best week. It was the longest time I would have with my grandparents before they would pass away. At the time, we didn't know it, but I treasure those days I had with them.

When my nephew, Tyler, knew that Spring Break was coming up, he asked if he could stay here at the house with Nana and Papa. Because this is no different than how I grew up, then my Mom excitedly said yes. So, I have been blessed to have him at the house this week. He actually gave me a reason to leave work and come home - I had missed him all day. He is so sweet and has a gentle heart.

It was no surprise when I came down with a sinus infection on Wednesday night that he wanted to take care of me. He was getting me water, always made sure I had a blanket to wrap up in, and kept telling me to go to the Doctor. When my sinus infection turned into pneumonia over the weekend and I left for the urgent care doctor on Saturday morning, he said to my Mom "I TOLD HER SHE NEEDED TO GO TO THE DOCTOR!" His care for me tripled when I got home on Saturday and he knew exactly how sick I was. He has such a merciful and giving heart. As my Mom says, he is very sensitive. And he is. And I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

So, to all the people that asked me this week why he stayed so long - I say to them "what's wrong with it?"

He had the time of his life.

And so did I.

No comments: