Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hard Work, Sweat and Tears

About 2 months ago, I started getting the itch to build something. Mind you, I've never built anything before, so I had no idea what I was going to build. But, I wanted to do something. At the time, I also wanted to redo one of our bedrooms and turn it into a bedroom/playroom for my nephews. Because of the odd sized bedroom, I started looking at bunk beds and fell in love with this one from IKEA. So, my Mom and I drove to Dallas, picked out this bed (which I was super happy about since it was less than $150!), loaded it up in the van and drove home from IKEA. It took me about 5 hours to put it together, and here is the finished product:

Please ignore the bed making skills that my nephews so humbly know. When they stay over at Nana and Papa's house, it is their responsibility to make the bed, and sometimes...well, all the time...it doesn't look perfect.

So after putting the bed together, I was excited to know that I could do something, so I looked for another project. After searching the internet for the perfect mount to my TV, I ordered it, attached it to my tv and hung it on the wall.


That maybe took about 2 hours. The hardest part was finding the stud in the wall.

So a few weeks after finishing the bunk beds and TV, I eagerly searched for another project. My parents wanted new patio furniture as a gift for all holidays this year, but we were lacking the space to put it out by the pool. So I volunteered to design and build a deck. After 2 days of hard work, sweat and tears, we had the deck done. I thought a Pergola would look wonderful on it, so I bought one of those, and we put it together one night this past week. Now, both my Mom and I are amazed at the work we have accomplished in just 2 weekends:



I am excited and eagerly anticipating the warm summer months that we can enjoy this new deck out by the pool.

Now, what's next? An outdoor kitchen? A few new benches by the deck? Maybe some deck storage?

ABSOLUTELY!!! :)

No comments: