Summer is upon us. Yippee!!! It is my most favorite time of the year! I hope I get to enjoy my summer this year, as I am housesitting all summer long and will barely be home. But, I am earning that extra cash so I can go on another vacation! :)
I’ve been thinking about all the summer memories I have and there are so many to share. I’m going to try and post a “summer memory” here every week this summer. Plus, it’s more of a reason to blog! :)
The summer between my first and second grade year was the summer my parents put the inground pool in at the old house. I remember the day they were digging the pool – our parents made us go to the babysitter’s house who lived across the street from us. We were so excited, that we wanted to stay outside and watch them dig out all the dirt. But, the excitement also led to tiredness, and we all fell asleep.
Including the babysitter.
Outside.
In the sun.
With no sunscreen.
I have never burnt so bad in my life. I remember it to this day, as if it just happened yesterday. We were all fried. But, I will never forget it (and that happened over 25 years ago!)
That summer brought so many memories. It was a while before my parents could put the concrete in around the pool, so we cut up cardboard boxes and that was our sidewalk so we wouldn’t have to walk on the reddest clay dirt I have ever seen in my life. Family members from both sides came to visit that summer, as well as friends from church and school.
I learned to swim that summer and it was the best thing in the world. My babysitter taught me and when I showed my parents I could do it, they were terrified that I was going to drown. But I didn’t – and I’m a good swimmer to this day.
Of course, swimming in the pool all summer, every summer, brought pains of its own.
Like having to wear a swimmer’s cap because I was getting too many swimmer’s ear infections.
Or my hair turning green because I had spent too much time in the heavily chlorinated pool.
Or the summer I went down the slide backwards, hit my head and almost gave my babysitter a heart attack.
There’s also the time that my Mom had this awesome metal lounge chair that floated in the pool, and I thought I could jump off the side and land into it, only to have it move and my front tooth landed on the metal part. It chipped my tooth. And I was afraid to tell my parents about it, so I lived with a chipped tooth until I was in college, when my Dentist told me he could fix it.
This is just the beginning of my summer memories. Do you have any summer memories? I would encourage you to write them down, or blog some of your own. See you next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment