This was the title of the sermon message today. And, after yesterday's post about dreams, the Lord must have known I was going to need to hear this today.
The pastor started out asking the congregation if we had ever had any fears and disappointments. Well, as you can imagine, almost everyone in the audience raised their hands. Then he asked if we had ever been disappointed with God. I thought to myself - he can't have us raise our hands on that one - it's such a personal question. I don't want anyone else to know that I've been disappointed in God. And then he did it - he asked us to raise our hands. And you know what? Almost everyone in the audience raised their hands that time too.
I learned today that I'm not alone in being disappointed in God. In fact, the book of Genesis tells us about Abraham and how disappointed he was in God because God had given him a promise, but it had been years and that promise had not been fulfilled. But, Abraham was faithful to God and in the end, he was given the promise that God gave him. It didn't come without sacrifice though.
One thing I've always known about Abraham - he was faithful in every since of the word. He is the ultimate example of a faithful and Godly man. But, he was disappointed in God. Not once, but several times. Just look at Genesis 15.
So yes, I have been disappointed in God. Yes, I fear that the Lord will not answer my prayers. But, am I disappointed in the life that He has given me up until this point in my life? No...I'm not. Because every fear and disappointment I've had up until now, He has taught me something. And that, in itself, has made me the person that He wants me to be.
Psalm 62 - My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. Trust in Him at all times; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. One thing God has spoken; two things have I heard. That you, O God, are strong and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what he has done.
Our fulfilled promises...our rewards...may not come for a really long time. But, it's okay to be disappointed in God, because in the end, as He says above...He will reward each person according to what He has done.
No comments:
Post a Comment