Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Road Rage

About a year and a half ago, I had a serious incident that involved road rage. I have hardly spoken about it since it happened, because it brings back such bad memories and I would much rather not go there. I think I have mentioned a time or two on here how I am not able to drive down 23rd Street, West of Classen. In fact, since the incident in November 2008, I have only driven that dreaded 2 mile stretch once – and that was to meet my friend for lunch at Taco Bueno (I couldn’t let her pass on her cravings).

My whole life, I have worked on or around N.E./N.W. 23rd Street. In fact, I grew up going down 23rd Street all the time, because it was also the best way to get to my Dad’s office. This street has had its ups and downs throughout the years and honestly, until that fateful day, I would have never thought I would be scared to drive down it today.

So I’m housesitting this week for a sweet lady that lives close to 23rd Street. She lives in a very nice neighborhood (which actually, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the vicinity of 23rd Street) and I’ve never been afraid to stay at her house or drive the short distance down 23rd Street from the office to her house. But then yesterday happened. I was almost to her house when a pick-up truck pulled out in front of another vehicle, and at that instant, road rage between the two of them ensued. I honestly was scared to death. I didn’t have my radio on and my sunroof was open, so I could hear every word, see every gesture, and then recalled every second of my incident. What bugs me about it all – these two vehicles were company vehicles, with the names of the companies blatantly displayed on the sides, tops and rears of the vehicles.

Road rage does exist, and it’s all around us. It seems to be getting worse every day. For instance, my incident had nothing to do with me. In fact, the police just told me “he must have been off his medicine today”. Seriously? I don’t think people need to be off their medicine to respond in the ways they do. And honestly, when I think about what happened yesterday, I don’t think the big truck saw the little car when he pulled out in front of it. But, he could have chosen to cop it up and let it go that he made a mistake, but he didn’t. He chose to pursue in the road rage just as the car had.

I made it to the house safely yesterday, but it wasn’t without emotions and thoughts running through my head. I am not only concerned about my safety, but the safety of others. The safety of my family. The safety of my friends. I will pray and ask the Lord to be my refuge and strength; my ever present help in trouble. (Psalm 46) And if you're wondering, I had debated calling the companies listed on the vehicles to complain, but I chose not to. I didn't want to get myself more involved then I already was.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Im sorry you had to relive that pain in your life! I hope the rest of your week gets better. Love ya!