Monday, May 10, 2010

Calm After the Storm

Have you ever heard the phrase "the calm before the storm". Well, in our instance today, it was the calm after the storm. In fact, when I think back to May 3, 1999, as soon as the massive tornado touched down in numerous parts of our state and left the most destruction ever, it was calm. I'll never forget coming out of the storm cellar that night and the sun was shining, but there was hail on the ground and damage all over.

Well, here in Choctaw, it was the same thing - the calm after the storm. Even though the wind may have been fierce all day long, it was as calm as could be after the storm. We were spared the tornado damage today (it was about 3 miles south of our house), and we are so thankful, but some of our friends were not so lucky. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that lost homes and have damage. In fact, some people lost their lives today. Very sad.

It is almost 10 pm and the news stations have been doing live coverage since before 4 pm. Some would think that we are "jumping the gun" and overanalyzing these storms when a tornado is possible, and it is probably magnified since the May 3rd tornado. But, on the other hand, I honestly think that we are so technologically advanced these days that they KNOW when we need to go take cover. No, I don't ever remember having to take cover this much when I was little, but maybe they didn't know? Maybe they weren't able to give us enough warning to let everyone know? I'm giving the weathermen the benefit of the doubt (because I am a highly optomistic person!) I remember only taking cover once when I was growing up, and that is because we looked out the window and actually saw it heading our direction! Thank the Lord we are blessed with people who know what they are doing and warn people that a tornado is on its way. I have no idea what we would have done tonight had we not known to take cover. In fact, we probably would have been sitting at the dinner table, peacefully having our dinner. Oh well...that is my rambling for tonight...

I will end with this...is anyone concerned that the people they have interviewed on the news stations will actually make it on the national news tomorrow? Some of these people really worry me and I seriously think THEY are the ones that give Oklahoma a bad name! "Ride it out and go with it!" :)

No comments: