Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Scary Stuff

So, I got a message earlier tonight about a website giving out lots of personal information. I was hesitant to even go to the website, as I thought it might be a viral link, but once I checked it out on snopes, this is for real.

This website is http://www.spokeo.com. It lists your name, address, phone number, age, profession, how many people live in your house, how long you have lived in your house, if you have a pool, etc. Folks - all of my personal information was listed and this is scary. Grant it, they had the wrong pictures, but still...very scary.

So...pass the word along. You can remove your listing by clicking on the "privacy" button on the lower right hand corner of the screen and by following the instructions. One piece of advice I would give you - create a "fake" e-mail address on yahoo or hotmail, as it asks for your e-mail address and I did not want to give out my real one. You will need to be able to check the e-mail, as it confirms the removal by clicking on a link they e-mail to you. It only takes a few seconds to create a fake e-mail and may save you in the long run. To my married girlfriends - you will want to check under your maiden name as well.

Call me the "consumer watch" queen tonight, as I'm "in your corner"! HA! Happy Wednesday!

No comments: