Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Very First Date

Last night, as I was on my way to do some housesitting, I drove by Tinsletown Cinema in Oklahoma City. It reminded me of my very first date and I couldn't help but laugh. I thought I would share with you what happened that night, many, many years ago.

A friend of mine at work was about to get married, and her fiance had a friend about my age, named Dustin, that he thought we would make a good pair. So, he asked me if he could give Dustin my number, which I agreed, and then didn't think anything else of it.

Weeks passed and my phone finally rang, and it was him! I couldn't believe it. We talked for a few hours (remember those days?) and decided to meet the following Friday. I still lived at home in Choctaw at the time, and he lived south side, so we decided to meet at the Olive Garden on I-240 and Penn. Date was set - see him there.

I got there early, and was trying to relieve the red rash that had already ensued my body because I was so nervous. They had benches outside the restaurant, so I just sat there and waited. I should have known the date would go bad when he was 15 minutes late (and come to find out - he only lived less than 5 minutes from there).

Once he finally got there, we went in, ordered our food and was having some great conversations. I can't remember exactly what we talked about, but it was busy conversation the entire time we were there. When the check came, I will never forget him leaning over me, showing me the price of my food, and telling me how much I owed. WOW. Okay...so I'm paying for my own meal tonight. No biggie. We are in the modern world now and I guess the girl is expected to pay on the first date (even though he was the one that asked me out).

After we both pay for our meals, he suggested we go see a movie. Instead of choosing the Regal Cinema that would have been closer, he chose Tinsletown. I said okay (thinking I was actually having a good time, despite the fact I had just paid for my part of dinner), and we decided to drive separate cars there. I remember driving down the interstate, calling my sister and telling her what happened at the restaurant. She so badly wanted me to just take my car and drive it on home - and forget about the movie...and HIM. But, I just couldn't do that.

I get to the movie theatre and notice him standing up by the ticket booth. I quickly get off the phone with my sister and head up there. We proceed to get in line to get tickets and I remember him having a conversation with me about the new Michael Moore movie that had just come out and how he wanted to see it - and I had absolutely NO interest in seeing that movie. We get to the front of the line and I look at him, thinking maybe - just maybe - he will buy my movie ticket. Then he turns back to me and says "I already bought my ticket". WHAT? SERIOUSLY???

Let's just say the date promptly ended after the movie. And, if you can believe this, he actually called me everyday for a few days after that. After avoiding his phone calls, I finally answered the phone and told him the truth. Poor Dustin. I wonder how many dates he has ruined because of that, or if he even has a clue. I just look back at that experience and just laugh. It was my very first date and believe me - I will never forget it!

Its one thing for me to offer to pay for my half, its another thing being told how much I owe. If a guy were to ask me out today, I'm sure I would probably offer to pay for my half, but hopefully he would oblige and pick up the tab himself. I'm pretty sure that is in the 1st chapter, 2nd paragraph, 1st line of the "man book". ;) At least that is what I've been told...

No comments: