Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Journey - Week 2

I have now completed my second full week of this new journey and I will admit – this week has been challenging.  After meeting so many people in church last week, I knew that I had many of them lifting me up in prayer about a job.  Before I went to bed last Sunday, I fervently went before the Lord and asked Him to allow my phone to ring this week.  If it only rang once, I was going to be happy.  I just needed some hope.

My new routine every day is when I get up in the mornings, I look at the new job openings for the day, apply for the ones I know I’m qualified for, and spend the afternoons either searching for more jobs or playing.  Well…Monday was no different.  I got up, searched and applied for jobs, and since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach.  As I was sitting there, my phone rang with a Boca area code, but when I answered, the guy on the line asked for Tammy.  Well, that is certainly not my name, so I told him he had the wrong number.  The curiousness in me took over and I quickly googled the phone number, only to see that it was from a company that I had applied for a job at.  I then knew that the Lord had answered my prayer from the night before, but this guy had asked for the wrong person and I had turned him away.  I started texting friends and family members, asking them to pray that the guy would call back.  Well, he eventually did and my first interview in Boca was set up for the next day.

I was so excited.  It was not quite 40 hours a week, but the pay and hours were good, and it was only 3 miles from the condo.  I got up Tuesday morning and headed to the interview, only to walk into an office with 3 guys in a cigarette smoke filled office.  It was terrible.  I immediately felt my throat close up and knew this was not the place for me.  Not because of my allergies, but because of the overall environment.  I quickly made up an excuse that I was looking for something more full time and within 10 minutes, I was back in the car and headed back to my place.  I was so discouraged, but knew the Lord had designed it all.  He answered my prayer by allowing my phone to ring, and with a subsequent interview, I finally had a little hope.

When I got back to the condo that afternoon, I received another phone call from a legal search firm, and they were very interested in me and my qualifications.  After doing a quick phone interview, she was going to keep me in mind for any openings that had come up.  Again, the Lord allowed my phone to ring at exactly the time I needed it.

On Wednesday, my condo complex was without electricity, so I had to find someplace to be.  Well, since I’m trying not to spend any money but I’m also in a new town, I decided to drive around.  Boca is really a beautiful place.  A little “high-end” (if you know what I mean, to which I don’t fit in AT ALL), but absolutely wonderful.  I came back to the condo and got ready for the church group that I was invited to.  Apparently people my age meet on Wednesday nights from all walks of life and different churches, but FBC Ft. Lauderdale hosts the site for it.  As soon as I arrived, I immediately made some new friends and everyone was so nice.  I was a little hesitant about going, but afterwards, I was so glad I went and met so many wonderful new people.

Thursday was a rough day.  It’s amazing how discouragement quickly sets in and before you know it, you are filled with doubts and insecurities.  I knew that if I didn’t find a job soon, this dream of mine would soon end and I would be going back home.  I made a phone call to another headhunter and made an appointment for Friday morning.  When I met with her, I was so encouraged.  She was exactly what I was expecting from the last headhunter.  She asked questions, what I was looking for, and overall encouraging.  When I got back from the interview, I had several e-mails from people I met on Wednesday night, asking me what kind of job I was looking for.  I’m just so glad the Lord brought me to the right place and even though my first experience at this church was not good, everything else has outweighed that moment.  It’s amazing how the Lord orchestrates things for our good.

On Friday afternoon, I got a call about a job I just applied for the day before, and I have an interview on Monday morning.  I’m so excited how the Lord is opening doors for me here.  And I’m excited about all the new friends I’ve made and continue to make.

Thank you for lifting me up in prayer.  I can definitely feel your prayers and they are helping tremendously.  Things are finally looking up and I can’t wait to share with you all the exciting details!

No comments: