Sunday, April 6, 2014

My Journey - Week 1

Greetings from the sunshine state!  I first of all want to apologize for my lack of posts.  As luck may have it, I do not have internet access in my condo, so when I want to do anything internet related, I visit the local Panera Bread or Corner Bakery (and oh my goodness – OKC is getting a Corner Bakery!  Friends, if you haven’t had it, you need to!)  No internet access at home has had its challenges, especially with the job hunt, but at least I have a place to go with free wi-fi.

I’ve completed my first week on this new journey.  It’s had a lot of ups and downs, but I am hopeful that things will start looking up soon.  In the week I’ve been here, I’ve realized the following things:

  1. A town that is mostly considered to be retired folk sure does drive like retired folk!  Seriously…I’m constantly on the lookout for the cars pulling out in front of me, going 100 in a 45 and quite honestly, driving like they’re in NYC.  It really does scare me…
  2. A two-story Target with a parking garage is a marvelous thing!  Who knew?  And I actually put my buggy on its own escalator this week and we both got there at the same time!  What we won’t talk about is how many people I witnessed loading their buggy onto the escalator before I even attempted it.
  3. Gas is cheaper closer to the beach than it is on the other side of the interstate.  You would think it was the opposite!
  4. People here really are nice.  Or maybe I have this look on my face that all they can say to me is “bless your heart”.
  5. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous.  Who knew having access to the beach and pool anytime you wanted would be such a pleasure?  Of course, that will all change when I get a job.
  6. People constantly say that driving 5 minutes to get somewhere is too long.  Huh?  That is certainly not what I'm used to...
  7. Groceries are a lot more expensive here than at home.  Did you know a package of cheese that costs $1.50 at home is $4.49 here?  Thank goodness I don't like cheese very much.
  8. There are so many Jews living in Boca that they have an entire section of the grocery store dedicated to them and the upcoming Passover feast.

So...an updated about me.  I can’t tell you how many jobs I’ve applied for or sent my resume out for.  I’ve also spent the majority of my time this week taking placement and aptitude tests, including typing and math tests.  But hopefully I have them all under my belt and won’t have to take them again for quite some time.  I’m now fervently praying that I get called for one of those jobs!

I’ll be honest – I really didn’t think finding a job would be this hard.  I had put so much hope and faith into the headhunter and when she let me down, everything in me shut down.  I was so upset.  I just knew that she would have something lined up for me and I would have started this past Wednesday.

But the Lord has other plans for me.  I’ve often questioned Him this week about making the right decision, the move, and should I consider moving back home.  But, I also know the Lord didn’t bring me here without a reason.  He’s opened so many doors and the peace that I feel about everything is so real.

He has shown Himself to me over and over again this week.  I’m still living on Oklahoma time, which means I’ve had some very late nights this week.  But, those are the times that He speaks to me more than any other time.  I had read a devotional this week about being anxious and having anxiety, and to call on our Lord Jesus when we have those fears.  Do you know how many times I’ve cried out to Jesus this week?  More often than not.  And it’s worked every time.

I couldn’t wait to get to church today, just to be around other believers and receive encouragement that I needed.  Before I left home, I had already researched churches and where I would go first, so this morning I visited FBC Ft. Lauderdale.  It is a fairly big church – very similar to the one I grew up in in OKC.  I chose the traditional service, as I love hymns along with a church choir and orchestra.  They did not disappoint.

What did disappoint – I found a place to sit in the auditorium and had not been sitting there more than 10 seconds when a lady walked up to me and told me that I was in her seat.  Excuse me?  I had heard of this happening, but I had never witnessed it nor had I ever encountered it.  I looked at this lady (who was around my age, by the way) and said “excuse me?”  And she said “you’re sitting in my normal seat”.  I quickly huffed under my breath, picked up my purse and Bible, and headed to the other side of the auditorium.  You know – a first time visitor should never encounter something like this.  Well technically, no one should encounter that.  I could have just walked out the door, but I knew the Lord had brought me there.  I needed encouragement and His word.  I needed music to fill my soul.

I found a spot on the complete opposite side of the auditorium, where I met this lovely lady named Lorraine who welcomed me with open arms, invited me to her Sunday School class and introduced me to a plethora of people.  Even though I was upset about what had just happened a minute earlier, I’m not sure I would have been welcomed on the other side of the church, and I certainly wouldn’t have been invited to a SS class.  And I will say that the SS class I attended was for older people, but they were all so sweet and welcomed me so lovingly.  So much so that it will be hard for me to go back next week and attend the class meant for my age group.

The sermon was good and wouldn’t you know – the Pastor is actually from Oklahoma!  I had absolutely no idea and when I met him afterwards, he was also super nice and friendly – just as you would expect an Oklahoman to be.  The Lord orchestrated every moment of my morning this morning.  The drive to church was a little long, but hopefully when I go back, the experience will be just as good, if not better.

The Lord is at work in my life.  I’m reminded in every bible verse and every song that He gives me that He is continually in my presence – even in the dark days – and everything will work out according to His perfect plan and purpose.

Be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. – Joshua 1:9  

No comments: