The Summer of 2012 is quickly flying by, but I shouldn't be surprised, as this happens every year. This year, in particular, seems to be going by faster than usual. Maybe because I've been a tad bit busier...or have I? Not sure how to answer that. Anyway...
What have I been doing this summer? Well, I've done some housesitting. I've spent some time at my cousin's lake house. I've spent time with friends, doing fun things and making memories. I've loved on my nephews and can't believe how much they are growing up. I've had some ups and downs at work, but who doesn't?
One thing I've done differently this summer - I've started reading again. I am not much of a reader and never have been, but it seems to help me sleep better at night. Plus, I really needed the Lord to teach me things in my life. To give me new perspectives; to show me how to grow. I didn't want to go out and spend a lot of money on new books or books that I would purchase but never read, so I got out all of my old books that I've read at some point, but it was years ago. Let me tell you - you can get a completely different perspective when you read a book again.
I re-read A Storybook Marriage by Dr. Forrest Pollock and re-learned a lot about dating and marriage. This book was given to me by a friend of mine and it's an incredible book. I remember when Forrest and his wife, Dawn, started dating and I rode with them out to Dawn's parents house for a get-together after a church revival service. I remember when we were less than a mile away from the church, they put a song in the tape player in the car and starting singing a duet. They were so in love and I remember thinking "I hope I have a love like that some day". As I read this book, I was reminded of the love that Forrest had for Dawn and how it increasingly grew while they were married. Forrest died in a tragic accident a few years ago, but I can tell you, he loved her more on the day of his death than he did that day in the car that I was in the backseat.
After I finished that book, I started reading some Elisabeth Elliot books. She is a popular Christian author, and many people have spoken highly of her books, but I had never read one. I remember at one point thinking she was too "old school" for me. Ha! Anyway, through her books, I have learned so much about faith, patience, hope and love. I started writing down some quotes from her books. My favorites right now are:
"Often a Christian man or woman falls prey to that cruel and vexatious spirit, wondering how to find marriage, who, when, where? It is on God that we should wait, as a waiter waits - not FOR but ON the customer - alert, watchful, attentive, with no agenda of his own, ready to do whatever is wanted. "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him" (Ps. 62:5 KJV) In Him alone lie our security, our confidence, our trust. A spirit of restlessness and resistance can never wait, but one who believes he is loved with an everlasting love, and knows that underneath are the everlasting arms, will find strength and peace."
"Where does your security lie? Is God your refuge, your hiding place, your stronghold, your shepherd, your counselor, your friend, your redeemer, your saviour, your guide? If He is, you don't need to search any further for security."
"Restlessness and impatience change nothing except our peace and joy. Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands."
"I do know that waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts. It's easy to talk oneself into a decision that has no permanence - easier sometimes than to wait patiently."
"To love God is to love His will. It is to wait quietly for life to be measured by One who knows us through and through. It is be to content with His timing and His wise appointment."
Friends - these are quotes I needed on some really hard days. Singleness is tough sometimes but you know what? I'm not the only one going through it. I'm willing and learning to see what I have yet to see and what I have yet to learn from my Heavenly Father. He is the Master and I lean on Him through those tough days. He knew that I would start reading again and He provided those books to me for that purpose. I'm so excited to see what the rest of this summer holds and how He is going to continue teaching me those important lessons that I hope I never stop learning.
On another note, I think I need to come up with some ideas on how to write on this blog more often. Lately, it's not that I've been so busy to write, but I just don't know what to write. I don't think you all want to hear about every single minute of my day. So, if you've got some ideas, will you please either comment or send me an e-mail? I'm open to anything and everything. Maybe like "Scripture Mondays" or "Mindless Mondays" or "Quote Wednesdays" or "Restaurant Fridays"? I'm just not sure. Now, all 2 of you, don't rush and bombard me with your comments, because I know you're dying to tell me!
I hope you all have had a wonderful summer so far. I know I have!
No comments:
Post a Comment