Thursday, April 21, 2011

Are you planted?

Wow...this month is flying by for me. I have been super busy at work and just as busy in my home life. Before long, I will be enjoying my favorite time of year - SUMMER! I am super excited about how close it is actually getting! We will be opening the pool soon so it can start warming up! I just can't believe how fast this year is going.

I've been housesitting this week and it's always good for me. Not good that I am away from home, but good as in it gives me time to reflect on my life and what is going on.

Each day this week, as I was driving "home", I noticed an older gentleman, tending to flowers, plants, trees and shrubs in the common area of the neighborhood I am staying in. This is not the first time I have seen him. In fact, I have seen him a lot when I've drove by. He especially starting spending more time in this common area after the time change last month. I don't know if he has a job, but he works on this area as if it were his own. He tends to it as if it were his full time job.

As I pondered on seeing him this week, I thought about what it takes to make a garden grow. There's the dirt, seeds, water, shoveling, fertilizing, pruning, cutting, etc. But what do flowers and plants need to survive? SOIL. Without soil, your garden will surely whither and die.

And so it is with US. We are God's plants, but without Him (the SOIL), we will grow weary. We will not turn out to be pretty or fragrant. We will whither up.

As long as we are planted in His soil, He will tend to His garden. He will water us, fertilize us, prune us, maybe even sometimes shovel us around.

Are you planted in the soil?

Haggai 1:5-7 NIV - Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it. This is what the Lord Almighty says: Give careful thought to your ways.

Are you giving careful thought to your ways?

Are you reaping the benefits of His soil?

Are you planted?

No comments: