I thought I would do something different today...something I've never done on my blog before. I'm going to give you a movie review. Well really, it's not technically a movie review, but just my thoughts on the movie.
I was able to spend Friday evening with some friends of mine and we went to see "Soul Surfer", the movie based on Bethany Hamilton's life. If you will recall, she is the young girl who was surfing in Hawaii when she was attacked by a shark and subsequently lost her left arm. Now, before you think "oh my...that must have been disgusting to watch", it wasn't. They left the movie very clean and just really only showed the shark jumping out of the water towards her.
The theater was full, and I really thought we would have a lot of interruptions. But, we didn't. In fact, everyone was intrigued by this movie and I doubt there was a dry eye. This movie is completely based on her life and what happened to her. When I got home Friday night, I searched the internet to see what was fact vs. fiction in the movie. Low and behold, there were only a few minor things that were fiction - the rest were true.
What amazed me by this movie, though, is Bethany's faith in the Lord. At the very beginning of the movie, the youth counselor from her church (played by Carrie Underwood in the movie), spoke of her life verse - Jeremiah 29:11.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future. (NIV)
Bethany listened to her say this verse, and it had an impact on her, well before the attack. After the attack happened, Bethany was so unsure of the plans God had for her. She didn't understand that if He had such great plans for her life, that He would cause her to lose her arm. What good was going to come out of this horrible experience she had gone through?
Well, as you probably already know, she knew God's calling for her was surfing. When she could have given up, she didn't, and continues to surf today. And the best part - she gives all the glory and honor to God. He gave her a hope and a future.
And yes, God had plans for her. Look at the impact she has already made. She wrote a book; she travels around the world; she still competes in surfing competitions; and she had a movie made after her.
So, when your down and low, and when you think nothing is going right - remember God is on your side. He has BIG plans for you, and I know He has BIG plans for me! I may not see it right now, but just like Bethany, it will be revealed in His time.
I HIGHLY recommend this movie. It was very clean and throughout the entire movie, it was clear that Bethany and her family wanted God to have all the glory in the making of this movie.
And...you'll get to see Bethany in action. She did most of the surfing scenes herself (something I did not know until afterwards).
Also, if you would like to read more about Bethany, feel free to visit her website at www.bethanyhamilton.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment