Life is full of second chances.
Or is it?
I've been asking myself that question for a few weeks now. And it really made me question it yesterday.
You see, yesterday was my birthday. It was an okay day. My parents tried to make the best of it for me, but quite honestly, it just sucks to have a birthday on a Sunday, at least in my family. Growing up in a church, you always know you'll be there on Sunday, including holidays...and birthdays. So, my birthday was already planned for me yesterday.
The one thing bothering me though - one of my bestest friends forgot my birthday. I'm not sure why this person didn't call. Or text. Or e-mail. In a world full of technology, we have every form of communication in front of us. I didn't even get a Facebook post. Nothing.
And I'm hurt.
You see, this person has forgotten before, but I was very quick to forgive. I remind this person all the time how special my birthday is to me. It's the one day out of the year I ask my best friend to remember me. To acknowledge me. To love me.
I'm not sure what to do. Right now, I am angry. I am hurt. I've cried. I've thought about the conversation I would have with this person. And it's not nice. How can I consider this person a friend when they obviously don't care that much about me to think of me on my special day.
So, is there such a thing as a second chance?
This past month, I know of two different people that have lost their job because of a mistake they made. They didn't have a second chance. Once their mistake was acknowledged, they both lost their job on the spot. No forgiveness. No sorry's. No second chance.
But Jesus is full of second chances.
He continually gives forgiveness to those who ask.
He loves us even when we make mistakes.
So even though I am full of hurt right now, I have to forgive my friend. It's going to be hard. And it's going to be difficult to give this person a second chance. But I need to be like Jesus. I need to show Jesus to this person. I need to love this person with an unconditional, Christ-like love.
Life is full of second chances. I've been given many of them.
Now I have to learn how to give them.
No comments:
Post a Comment