Thursday, October 22, 2009

Psalm 37

During the weekend of August 29th, I was blessed to attend a Living Proof Simulcast featuring Beth Moore. She is a wonderful speaker; someone who I look up to; and someone that I wouldn't mind being like. In fact, I've always wanted to be able to travel around, teaching on the life of David to big groups like she does. But, there is NO WAY I'm going to get over my fear of being in front of people. Anyway...

On that particular weekend, she spoke on Psalm 37, focusing on Psalm 37:4. It says:

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart

This is a special verse to me - a verse I repeatedly tell myself all the time. She made so many particular points about this verse and I wanted to share them with you.

1. Do you know the difference between cravings and desires? A legitimate heart's desire necessitates a wait (a sustained longing uneffected by circumstances/a mood/a moment).

2. Beneath the desires of our hearts is the heart of our desires. Look for what is present in the absence - He IS there! For the very thing we lack, the Lord will use that to bring our desire.

3. Delighting in God adapts our desires into inevitabilities.

4. Nothing external can steal our right to delight re: JAN
J - Jealousy (v. 1)
A - Anger (v. 8)
N - Worry (v. 1)

5. Commit. To make room for delight, you've got to commit.

6. Nothing is passive about patiently waiting for desire to turn into delight. You NEVER make a petition He cannot hear!

7. Until faith becomes sight, trust God and do good.

Just re-writing all of this reminds me of everything I learned that weekend. She is such a wonderful teacher and also a great encouragement. The entire book of Psalm 37 is an encouragement. I fully believe that if we are silent before the Lord and wait patiently for Him, and delight ourselves in Him, He WILL give us the desires of our hearts.

Take a moment and read Psalm 37. I just know it will encourage you like it has me.

No comments: