Friday, November 14, 2008

2008

You know, this has really been a bad year for me. About the time I think everything will start looking up, it comes back down again. For instance, here is what has happened to me just since this year started:

January - Lost an insurance case from a surgery I had in May 2006 to remove a non-malignant tumor in my head/neck, even though the surgery had been pre-approved. Now responsible for almost $4,000 in medical bills.

February - Lost a very dear friend of mine, Bob Stevens. He was really more than a friend – he was an adopted grandpa. I had known him all my life and we always referred to him as “Mr. Bob”; Started a part-time job at a funeral home to cover such said expenses (see above). Making only minimum wage at the funeral home, I knew I would be working for a very long time; Also started working on an as-needed basis at the Ford Center. A childhood friend of mine actually referred me for the job – and its actually worked out.

March and April – These months are really all a blur. I was working full time at my regular job, then working part-time in the evenings. No free time = no life.

May – My mom had a complete hysterectomy and spent some time at the hospital. It had been a while since I had my yearly ob/gyn appointment, so I scheduled one; While on my way home from visiting with Mom after her surgery, I begin to have severe abdominal pain. No big deal – take a few gas-x pills and drink the whole bottle of Pepto. Feeling a little bit better now; Go to said ob/gyn appointment and the dr finds a lump in my breast. Sends me for a mammogram and biopsy for following week; Go to said mammogram and biopsy; technician said no cancer….finally move on with my life…or so I think…

June – Ob/gyn decides she doesn’t like technicians response; sends me to the best breast doctor there is in Oklahoma City for another mammogram and biopsy; Find out that lump is not cancer. Now I can move on with my life…; Severe abdominal pain comes back. I think I have an ulcer because of everything else going in my life

July – First day of the month, I have a major tire blow-out on the interstate in heavy morning traffic. Was blessed when the police officer told me I could have died that day, but I didn't (see earlier blog); Find out severe abdominal pain is caused by gallstones – I need to have my gallbladder taken out; Schedule such surgery for gallbladder to be taken out – its August 12th

August – Show up for pre-op appointment and am running high fever (103.8). Cannot have surgery until such fever goes away. Surgery rescheduled for September 11th.

September – Have said surgery, but complications occur. Can’t do much of anything for 2 whole weeks.

October – Go back to work and more stressed than ever!; Come down with major sinus infection and ear infection.

November – The decision is made – I must leave my church home for a better one that meets my needs; Assaulted in a mall parking lot on my way to the dentist. Horrifying experience that I never want to go through again.

Yet, while it is SO easy for me to dwell on the bad things that happened to me this past year, I can also dwell on the good things. Such as…

1. Mr. Bob is in heaven now, rejoicing with our wonderful Savior. I have the assurance that I will see him again someday.

2. My job at the funeral home was a good job. I made wonderful new friends and the most exciting part…

3. I got my medical bills paid off! It only took me 6 months to pay them off…and I got to quit my job at the funeral home because of it.

4. I did not have breast cancer. Because there is a history of breast cancer in the family, we were all really worried. But, many friends and family were praying for me and the Lord made a miraculous healing in me.

5. My Mom and I got to go on a wonderful trip to Disney World and we had the best time! It was great to go somewhere with just my Mom – she and I “bonded” that weekend. :)

6. Even though I had complications before and after surgery, I am so blessed to have a wonderful and supportive family that took care of me and loved on me, and that nothing else was wrong. No more severe abdominal pain. Yay!!!

7. My newest nephew, Preston, was born. He just adds to the joy in my life.

8. And finally, I wasn’t hurt when I was assaulted. I am shook up and it hasn’t been the easiest of times dealing with it, but I am so thankful the Lord Jesus was with me yesterday and protected me with His everlasting arms…

I have so much to be grateful for, even in the midst of trials. But, I will say...I am DEFINITELY looking forward to 2009. Only 6 more weeks to go!

No comments: