Sunday, September 11, 2011

Patriot's Day

Patriot's Day sounds so much better than 9/11.  Or at least I think it does.  I know those of us who were alive on 9/11/01 will remember that day for as long as we live.  We'll remember what we were doing that day when it happened and the effects it has had since then.  We will never forget.

Yesterday, my Mom and I attended a Beth Moore simulcast at a local church.  She has gotten to where she does this only once a year, so we always look forward to her teaching.  It takes an entire Saturday (which I'm usually not happy about giving up an entire Saturday), but I really enjoyed it.  She taught about the life of Luke and that his teachings taught us that God has not forgotten about us.  Even though there are several scriptures in the Bible that mention "we" or "they", we must not forget the "me".  The "me" that Christ loves unconditionally.  The "me" that Jesus cares for and wants the best for.  I left the church very refreshed and looking forward to the "me" that Christ remembers.

I've been thinking about the "me" in my life recently.  In fact, I was just talking about it to a friend last week.  I found out that a friend of mine just got a huge promotion.  And instead of being happy for her, I was left asking "when is it going to be my turn?"  I really was.  My friend said to me "I was thinking the same thing - when is it going to be your turn?"  And I was bummed out the rest of the day.  My friend seems to get everything she wants and it seems to come easy for her.  She doesn't have to fight for things like I do.

After feeling sorry for myself that entire day, I left work and drove home depressed.  About half way home, I realized - it has been my turn this entire time.  I have a job that I love (even though it's been really rough lately), my life is good and I'm happy.  That's one thing I can say - I'm happy!  Is my friend happy?  I don't think so.  And maybe a year and a half ago she was asking the same thing - "when is it going to be my turn?"

One thing I have learned is that God is full of surprises.  He can take that depressed thought I had and turn it into something I could have never imagined.  He reminded me of all the good things in my life.

Let Him surprise you today.  Let Him remind you of all the things you DO have, rather than waiting for your turn.

No comments: