Thursday, February 21, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me

Yesterday was my birthday.  It was just a normal, busy day.  And, as it so happens, my birthday fell on another church day.  But thankfully, we all woke up to a nice surprise this morning.  SNOW!  It was a beautiful snow with massive flakes and stuck to the ground very quickly.  Unfortunately, the snow didn't stay long, but it was long enough to cheer me up and get me to work in a good mood.

The office was busy.  I was busy.  People were coming in and out of the office because of meetings, and all my friends were calling me with well wishes for my birthday.  All but one friend (and for the record, my boss forgot too).  I've wrote about this friend before, and I've wrote about the forgiveness that I had to give to this friend.  But oh...it's getting so much harder.  To forgive, that is.  I just don't know what to do.  I cried my eyes out last night until I could cry no longer.  One of the most important people in my life forgot my birthday.  Again.

And you know what?  I'm really not big on birthdays.  I don't shout it from the roof top.  I don't remind people ahead of time.  I remember people's birthdays and I acknowledge them.  For me, it's on my calendar.  I look at that calendar every day, so it's really hard for me to miss it.  I also have a great memory when it comes to birthdays.  In fact, I can even tell you when my first and third grade teachers birthdays are.  That's how good my memory is for birthdays (and my cousin once told me that I remind him of our grandma, because she was the same way...she never forgot a birthday).

The thing is...a birthday is all I have right now.  I don't have a wedding anniversary.  I don't have Mother's day.  I don't have a spouse or child to celebrate a day with.  My birthday is it.  My birthday is the only thing I have.

I am so hurt and I am struggling with what to do.  In the grand scheme of things, it's really not that important.  But is it?  When I think about this situation, I think that this person doesn't think I am as important to them as they are to me.  And maybe that's what hurts the most.

Despite one of my bestest friends forgetting, I ended up having a good day.  Not one to go down in the record books as the best ever, but it was good.  The Lord sent me a snowfall - the first I've ever received on my birthday.  And that, my friends, was the best gift...

No comments: