Another Thanksgiving has passed, allowing another opportunity to be blessed. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with the family. Everyone showed up at my Uncle’s house and it was a fun time had by all. We had wonderful weather outside, and I spent the majority of my time outside playing with the kids (which was nice). I see so much improvement in the kids, including my nephews, and how they are growing so quickly. Before long, they won’t want to play with Beck outside; they’ll want to watch the football games on TV and play with their personal cell phones and computers.
We were talking on Thanksgiving about how much kids have these days. I remember when I was growing up, we never got anything unless we asked for it for Christmas or our birthdays. It wasn’t that my parents didn’t have the money (although, they spent the majority of their money on me and my sister’s school tuition), it’s just that they didn’t want us to have all these things we didn’t need. Now, you have to remember that this was back in the day, prior to computers, cell phones, handheld games and so on. We spent our free time playing outside, making up games and if the weather wasn’t good, we spent it inside playing board games or cards. My nephews are going to know more about computers and cell phones before they even reach 3rd grade. I was in 3rd grade when I learned how to write cursive.
And speaking of cursive, did you know that schools are not encouraging their teachers to teach cursive anymore? I find that so odd, but my 3rd grade cousin is already doing all his homework on the computer. He already knows how to type, and I didn’t learn how to type until I was in the 9th grade (and that was on a typewriter!)
Things have changed so much over the years. Who would have ever thought 20 years ago that we would have flat screen TV’s to hang on the wall, a cell phone the size of the palm of my hand, and computers with cameras and internet that we can use to chat with someone who lives thousands of miles away. We can stay in touch with each other more frequently, but then…do we really?
I’m so thankful for the different opportunities I’ve been given this year. I feel so blessed to have experienced both the bad and good (although the bad didn’t seem like a blessing at the time). I really feel like I’ve grown this year. I’ve grown in the Lord. I’ve grown as a person. I am a happy-go-lucky kind of gal these days. Heartache still happens. Anger is still there and rises with the sun on any given day. But it’s by His grace that I make it through.
He is the one I love and cherish, and I’m so thankful to Him for ALL the blessings in my life, including my fellow blog readers (all two of you).
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment