Sunday, October 16, 2011

Busy Week

This past week was a very busy week.  I feel like I had something every night (which I didn't) and I've been unusually tired, so I've been going to bed earlier than normal.  I really needed to sleep in yesterday, but instead my Mom, sister and I walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in OKC.  We had a wonderful time and remembered my Mammaw while we walked (my sister ran the 5K).  We snapped this picture right before the race started.


After we got home, my Mom and I were so tired.  I tried to take a nap, but I couldn't.  You know, it was one of those days that you know you have stuff to do, so you just get up and do it.  I didn't have that much going on, but enough to make the day go by fast.  I had been craving an apple pie, and my Mom saw a recipe for an Easy Skillet Apple Pie in the September 2011 edition of Southern Living.  Since I haven't done a recipe on here in a while, I thought this would be a good one to put on here.  So, here we go...

Peel 2 lbs. Granny Smith apples and 2 lbs. Braeburn apples (roughly 4 cups each)


Dice apples and toss them in 1 tsp cinnamon and 3/4 c. sugar


In a 10 inch skillet, melt 1/2 c butter (a whole stick!) over medium heat


Add 1 c brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved


Remove from heat and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture.  Spoon apple mixture over piecrust


Top with remaining piecrust and brush top of piecrust with 1 egg white that you've whisked until foamy.  Sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar.  Cut 4-5 slits in top for the steam to escape


Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until brown and bubbly


This is super, yummy goodness!


We had it with vanilla ice cream and it was excellent.  Hope you try it sometime!  The full recipe is listed below.

Easy Skillet Apple Pie
Sept 2011 Southern Living

2 lbs. Granny Smith apples
2 lbs. Braeburn apples
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 c. firmly packet light brown sugar
1 (14.1 oz) pkg refrigerated piecrusts (we cheated and used the frozen kind)
1 egg white
2 tbsp. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Peel apples and dice; toss with cinnamon and sugar.  Melt butter in 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture.  Spoon apple mixture over piecrust and top with remaining piecrust.  Whisk egg white until foamy.  Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle sugar on top.  Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.  Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. - Mrs. James Wright, Chattanooga, TN

No comments: