So what happened to my weekly post about summer memories? I have no idea! I tell you - this summer is just flying by! In a week, we will be celebrating July 4th and you know, summer is pretty much on the way out by then.
I was trying to think of the summer memory I was going to write here, but I have so many! But something that is bugging me right now - crickets. Why is it that they only chirp in the middle of the night, and they are usually by your bedroom window? I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten up in the middle of the night, gone outside and tried to find the cricket. When I had my house, I used to just turn the water hose on and spray my entire back window. If you can believe it, that usually did the trick.
Since I'm talking about bugs... Because of the swimming pool, we have every kind of bug visit us every summer. We've even had a few snakes in the pool, as well as a bat. At the old house, it was not unusual to find a dead gopher or mole at the bottom of the pool. My Dad still has no idea how they got in the pool.
I'll also never forget the summer my Dad had a hip replacement and got to spend the entire summer at home with us girls. My parents also bought season passes to Frontier City and White Water that year. It was so much fun. My Dad would take us to those places (after he was released to drive), but poor thing couldn't do anything except sit there and watch us girls ride the rides. But it didn't bother him to use his crutches in public. Like it doesn't bother him to use his walker now.
Anyway, that summer, people were shooting off fireworks well before July 4th. We would go outside to watch them then come back in. Except one particular night, my Dad and I were sitting there when a family of skunks came walking by. Seriously. There were 5 of them. I'll never forget my Dad telling me to be still and not move. It probably only took them about 30 seconds to walk right by us, but it was the longest 30 seconds of my life. I remember as soon as we were in the clear, I RAN inside! I could not believe that just happened to us! But what a memorable summer.
Okay...I promise I'll be better about writing. Afterall, it is summer and there's not much for me to do! I hope you are enjoying your summer so far!
No comments:
Post a Comment