It’s amazing the Christmas traditions that people have and I love to hear what my friend’s traditions are. Do you believe in Santa Claus? When do you open your presents? Well, I thought I would share our Christmas tradition.
On each Christmas Eve morning, it is a race to see who can say “Christmas Eve gift” first to each other. Growing up, when we would go to my Mammaw and Pappaw’s house, we would sometimes park down the street so they didn’t know we were coming. I will never forget that we caught them off guard one year, but I couldn’t find my Uncle Shane anywhere. I went to every bedroom and garage, and looked in every car. I knew he was there, but where was he? He startled me when he jumped out from under the coffee table in the living room, yelling “Christmas Eve gift”. He had gotten me. I was so disappointed that year because it seemed I always lost at the game, but I was ready to get him that year.
For as long as I can remember, we have always opened gifts on Christmas Eve. We started doing this years ago, because after opening gifts, we would travel down to Lake Texoma to my Mammaw and Pappaw’s house to be with the rest of the family. Most, if not all, of my Christmas memories are at their house. It was the best time of year. We would make the 2 ½ hour drive to their house, singing along to Christmas tapes the whole way down there. When we got there, we would do our best to sneak in for “Christmas Eve gift”, then we would get settled in for the night.
My grandparents had the hottest fireplace ever. You would walk in that house and immediately sweat. I remember having to go outside so many times during the night because it would get so hot in the house. But, I loved going outside and admiring the red Christmas lights on the house and the plastic Santa and Reindeer on the roof. My Pappaw used to leave the lights on all night Christmas Eve so Santa would be able to find the house.
My Mammaw always had snack food to eat for Christmas Eve. We would stuff our faces while listening to Elvis, Dean Martin and Bing Crosby on the record player, put our stockings out for Santa, then go to bed. Yes, Santa still visits our house. I remember when I was young how excited I was about Santa and I never could sleep on Christmas Eve night. Those days have returned, as the boys now get excited about Santa coming to visit. At least they don’t have to sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag (yet).
We have continued these traditions since both of my grandparents have passed. These days we don’t go anywhere, but we still open gifts on Christmas Eve. We listen to Christmas CD’s, munch on snack food and put the handmade stockings out for Santa. The rest of the family now joins my family at my parent’s house on Christmas day, where we have the traditional Christmas meal (turkey, ham, dressing, sweet potatoes, etc.).
Although these are great traditions that have been passed down through the years, we do not lose sight of the real meaning of Christmas. Christ came to this earth as a baby to save the world, forgive us of our sins, to give His life away on the cross, and to make a promise to those who believe in Him that we will have everlasting life. My hope and prayer is that you will remember the true meaning of this season and never lose sight of the wonderful life we’ve been given in Him.
Have a wonderful Christmas! And yes, Santa, I’ve been good this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment