Thursday, December 9, 2010

Death and Life

My Mammaw passed away 8 years ago today. I will never forget it, and I will never forget that I sang her into heaven. As someone said today to my Mom - she didn't change much when she got to heaven, because she was already an Angel here on earth. That is so true.

People say all the time that the death of a loved one gets easier with time, but quite honestly, I think it gets harder. I think I miss my grandparents more and more each day. But, I also think that as I get older, the memories start fading. They are not as clear as they used to be.

Today as I was driving home, I passed an Arby's, and I immediately remembered my Mammaw. Years ago, she had come up to the city to visit us and they had these really pretty Christmas glasses. The trick was, you could only get 1 glass per visit, and when they ran out of glasses, that was it - they wouldn't get any more shipments in. My Mammaw thought they were so pretty, so we all ordered separately so we could get enough glasses. I remember sitting there with the Christmas lights blinking inside the store and thinking that was the best time ever - having Arby's with my Mammaw so she could have some Christmas glasses.

That memory was the farthest thing from my mind this morning when I got up out of bed. But, isn't it funny how I remembered all of it after I just drove by an Arby's? I truly believe the Lord orchestrates moments like that in our lives. He doesn't allow those memories to fade.

Just this week, we said goodbye to a sweet dear lady from our church who has now probably met my Mammaw. I know they are getting along great. And I know all of my grandparents are having the time of their lives, meeting people and living their lives in the basking glory of our Lord Jesus.

It is hard to imagine life after death, but it's there and it's very real. I admit there are times that I really have to think about it, but that is just satan fighting with me and messing with my emotions. I know that I will see my Mammaw, and others, on the other side of glory one day, and what a sweet day that will be.

No comments: