Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks

It is the week of Thanksgiving. Wow...time flies. In fact, this whole month has flown by. We spent the majority of it at Disney World, celebrating my Dad’s birthday. We had a fabulous time and think he did too, considering he had a broken hip to deal with. He couldn’t do much, but just being at the most magical place on earth was enough in itself. Plus, they had just put their Christmas decorations up, so we were able to enjoy that as well.

After the trip, I came home and was mad at the world. I was mad at God. I was mad at myself. You see…life is not fair. I found myself questioning why some things happen to others; why life is more miserable for some and not others. But, through all the years that my Dad has dealt with hip problems, then it being magnified by the hereditary disease he has, I wonder why him. My Dad is the sweetest person with the most humble heart. He has sacrificed a lot not only for his family, but for himself. He knows he is not able to do the things he used to do. But inside, I know my Dad is stronger than he has ever been. No, life is not fair. But, I know God uses these circumstances in our life to teach us things. I’m just still learning.

But...I digress. Here are the things I AM thankful for this year.

I’m so thankful for my family. It has been a trying time this year, having sold my house and moved back home. And, it’s a blessing in disguise after the health problems my Dad has had. I really am thankful that I moved back home.

I’m so thankful for my nephews. They just light up my life…seriously. I love to spend time with them; play with them; love on them. Tyler was able to go with us to Disney World last week and we had a wonderful time. I can tell you, though, that we are creating a monster. He is going to love Disney World more than any of us combined. He just loves riding rides!

I’m so thankful for my new job this year. It was so nice to go through a major election year this year and not have to worry about my job. Job security is wonderful, and since my boss is awesome, everything has been right with the world as far as my job is concerned this year! And, it’s pretty much stress free! So thankful for that!

I’m so thankful for sweet friends the Lord has given me. They are so great to laugh with, cry with, and spend time with. I was even able to go to Vegas with 2 of my best friends this year. We had such a great time!

I’m so thankful for the trips I have been able to go on. Just this year, I have been to New York City, Sacramento, Orlando (x2), Dallas (x2), and Vegas! I feel like I’m missing something! Regardless, I have had so much fun in each city. I’m definitely looking forward to what’s next!

I’m so thankful for my health. I have not had to visit my PCP at all this year! That says something in itself!

I’m so thankful for my church family. Yes, I go to a church that the majority of church members could be my grandparents, but they are so sweet! They hug on me every week and make me feel welcome. They constantly ask how I’m doing and have a valued interest in my life. The only thing about getting so close and attached to these people – they probably don’t have that much more time on this earth. So, I cherish their time every Sunday, because they may not be there the next Sunday.

I’m so thankful for my new car! I just absolutely love it! If you would have asked me a year ago about buying a new car, it wouldn’t have even been a thought. But, I am enjoying every minute of driving this new toy of mine!

Finally, I’m so thankful for the sweet Lord Jesus. I am so undeserving of His love for me; His forgiveness; His patience; His best for me. But, I also know that He holds the world in His hands. He cares about me the same as he does a stranger that lives half way around the world. He is the reason I live. He is my everything.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends. May this be a grateful occasion for you and I pray numerous blessings on you and yours.

No comments: