Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001

I started housesitting this week and it has been good so far. My time seems to pass by really fast. The great thing about where I’m at right now – it is less than a mile and a half from work. So, I’m loving that I’m being paid but yet saving on gas (and I can sleep in an extra 30 minutes on work days). The dogs and I got up early this morning and went on a walk in the park. I have super bad bed hair when I get up in the mornings, and I know the people we passed in the park appreciated the hat I put on before leaving the house. Seriously…my hair sticks straight up in the air. If I could take a picture, I would. But, that would cause for some major blackmail down the road, so that won’t be happening.

I came home today to get some laundry done and I was hoping to go swimming, but the clouds prevented that from happening. I am slowly realizing that my summer is over. This is sad for me. Before long, it will be super cold and I will be warming up with comfy sweats, cozy socks and hot chocolate. Actually, it doesn’t sound that bad when I put it that way. Anyway…

Today we remember those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. I can’t believe it has been 9 years. It seems like yesterday that we were all glued to the tv, watching the horrific events unfold before our eyes. A few weeks after 9/11, I remember watching David Letterman and his guest that night was Dan Rather. He had Mr. Rather on the show to talk about the events of 9/11 and how he felt. After a brief discussion, Mr. Rather closed with the Star Spangled Banner. Now, mind you, we typically just sing the first verse and the first verse only, but on this particular night, he quoted several verses. It was so moving, as this was exactly how I felt after the horrible disaster occurred. I’m going to close with the last verse of the Star Spangled Banner tonight, as we remember those who lost their lives on 9/11, and the men and women who fight for our freedom because of 9/11.

Star Spangled Banner
By Francis Scott Key

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

No comments: