Today we celebrate the 234th birthday of the United States. My family usually celebrates with a cook-out, swimming and fireworks (which we actually did yesterday, even though it rained most of the day). I've grown to like this holiday because every year, it has been spent with friends and family.
The true meaning of July 4th usually goes by the wayside, but it particularly hit home to me this weekend. Friday morning when I was on my way to work, the song "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood came on the radio. In it, it says "And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free; and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me; and I gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today; cause there ain't no doubt I love this land; God Bless the USA".
I couldn't help but shed a tear, as there are many men and women who fight for our freedom, even today. And, it is with sadness that I know someone who lost his life fighting for our freedom in Iraq just 2 days ago. Sgt Jordan Tuttle - I will always remember your wonderful smile and willing heart when you were in my first grade choir class. You will not be forgotten and we are blessed to know we will see you again someday. Thank you for your sacrifice to this country.
No comments:
Post a Comment