Thursday, May 15, 2014

New Season in Boca

Hello, my friends!  I really hope things are going well for all of you and that you’ve all had a good week. And happy belated Mother’s day to all of my friends who are Moms!  I hope you had a fantastic day.  I really missed my Mom that day and so thankful for the blessing she has been to me in my life.  I know it was hard for her to let me move here, but thankfully we keep in touch quite often.

Things here are good.  Work is busier than ever, which I really appreciate.  It really makes the time fly by and before I know it, my day is over and I start all over again the next day.  I really appreciate the work I’m doing and the people I work with.  It’s been a welcome change for me and I’m forever grateful to the Lord for providing this job to me.

While I’ve been having such a great time in Boca, there have also been things that I dislike about living here.  I know a lot of it has to do with the culture here, but a lot of other things that just really tick me off.  For instance:

  • My car never stays clean.  You never know when it’s just going to pour down rain.  And it can rain for 5 minutes or 5 hours.  And being this close to the beach, my car is covered with salt water and sand, so it makes it “sticky”.  The money I’m saving by giving myself pedicures is going directly to the car wash.
  • The stop lights here are the longest I’ve ever encountered.  Seriously.  In fact, I timed it the other day and did you know I sat at this intersection for 2 minutes and 40 seconds?  And it wasn’t even a busy intersection!  And you can’t chance running even a yellow light because all of the stop lights down here are photo enforced.  Meaning…they have cameras and if they catch you even remotely trying to run a red light, you get a ticket.  I can’t chance that…not now…not ever.
  • The traffic here is TERRIBLE!  Maybe because of the reason above, but I’ve gotten to the point that I hate driving very far.  I live only 3 miles from my office and it takes me anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes to get to work every day.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.
  • There are so many old and retired people that live here, that you don’t dare get out on the day they receive their social security checks.  Old people + crazy drivers/traffic = not a good day to get out.
  • There aren’t many “local” eateries.  I had gotten so used to eating local in OK that I miss those places.  The mom and pop stores like Crest and OK staples like Sonic and Braums.  Even Taco Bueno.  They don’t have a Taco Bueno!  And you don’t dare order Mexican food around here, because it’s just not the same.  When I go home next, I can’t wait to eat at Poblano Grill or Chelinos (and have a Strawberry Limeade from Sonic)!
  • The electricity here goes off ALL THE TIME.  I feel like half of my evenings are spent resetting clocks in the condo.  I’m not sure why, but everyone tells me “it’s a south Florida thing”.  Okay…

Despite the things I don’t like here, overall, I’m having a great time.

I’m enjoying my job and have met some great new friends.

I’ve become a bit independent since moving here, but that’s to be expected.

The Lord seems to teach me more in the alone times.  I feel like my faith in Him is abundantly growing and I’m just so thankful that He chose me.  He has directed every path I’ve been on and continues to guide each and every one of the steps I take.

I’m so grateful for this new season He has granted me.

No comments: