I've been working on this post for several weeks now, because I've been learning more and more about forgiveness. I am amazed of all the things the Lord is teaching me about this topic alone. Forgiveness expands several different ways - forgiving others; forgiving yourself; being forgiven. As we all know the saying - forgive and forget. But as a person living in the flesh, it's very hard to forgive, much less forget.
When I was praying about forgiveness and the situation I've been going through, I asked the Lord to show me an example of forgiveness. Much to my dismay, He showed me the book of Hosea. This is definitely a chapter I have skimmed over in the past and quite honestly, didn't really know what it was about. Change bible versions and you get it completely. Here's a rundown...
Hosea was a preacher in Israel and the Lord told him to go marry a prostitute. He did as the Lord commanded him and married a prostitute named Gomer. Their marriage was wonderful and living as newlyweds was awesome. Gomer became pregnant and gave birth to their first child. Hosea was so excited! The Lord had answered his prayers. But it was at that time that Gomer returned to her sinful ways. She became pregnant two more times, and it was then that Hosea realized the children were not his. Gomer continued living a life of prostitution, and all the while, Hosea is begging her to come back. He wants her to be the wife and mother she was meant to be, and the Lord continued to put love and forgiveness into Hosea's heart and mind. The Lord commanded Hosea to continue loving Gomer, despite her wicked ways, because it was an example of the Lord's love for Israel. And Hosea had to forgive Gomer for what she did.
While my situation is nothing like this story, I do know the Lord was teaching me all about forgiveness. Here, Hosea had been dreadfully hurt, but he chose to forgive. He chose to continue loving Gomer when there was nothing else he could give but himself. And you know what? She turned her life around. Hosea's love, compassion, forgiveness and grace was given to Him by our Lord Jesus.
And the Lord Jesus is the one who forgives me numerous times of every hour of every day.
So why is it so hard for me to forgive someone myself? Especially when someone has hurt you? When you've been wronged? When you know the hurt and pain will never go away because you'll never forget what happened?
We all live in the flesh - it's our natural instinct to be angry. I got angry today when I had to put 20 reams of paper in the copy machine because no one else will do it. I got angry at the car that pulled in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes.
So instead of being angry, I must love and forgive just as Christ commands us to do. I HAVE to do it. And let me tell you - it's not easy. I still have past situations that some people have probably long forgot about, but they are fresh on my mind. I've lacked the ability to forgive them.
Forgiveness is a daily battle, and it always will be as long as I'm here on this earth.
But I'm so thankful for a loving Lord who giveth, yet taketh away. He gives me the grace to forgive others and I sure know He's given others the grace to forgive me. We have such a loving and faithful Father who is always looking out for us. He wants the best for us. And, He doesn't hesitate to teach me something in the process. Not sure what I would do without Him.
To close, I really liked this passage in Hosea, especially beginning this week with Easter and being blessed with rainfall. It just seemed appropriate (even though I've been working on this post for WEEKS!) I could have said so much more about forgiveness, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from. It's mainly a lesson for myself - I just like to share with others what I'm learning. Really, that's all this blog is - my thoughts being wrote down. Sort of like a journal. But you know what? It helps me. It helps me to look back and see all the changes the Lord has brought in my life. All the things He has taught me.
And that, my friends, is worth everything.
Hosea 6:1-3 (HCSB)
Come, let us return to the Lord. For He has torn us, and He will heal us; He has wounded us, and He will bind up our wounds. He will revive us after two days, and on the third day, He will raise us up so we can live in His presence. Let us strive to know the Lord. His appearance is as sure as the dawn. He will come to us like the rain, like the spring showers that water the land.
Strive to know the Lord. Let Him show you what forgiveness is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment