I’ve really been feeling blah lately. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the heat outside (it has been over 100 degrees everyday for 2 weeks now), but this is usually my favorite time of the year when I enjoy this kind of weather. Yes, it has been super hot, but I usually find coolness in the pool.
Another thing is I have been super busy housesitting. This whole summer, I am only home 3 ½ weeks. That’s it. That means I am not sleeping in the comfort of my own bed except for those 3 ½ weeks. Don’t get me wrong – I usually sleep good at the houses I do stay at, but after a while, it takes a toll on my body and my back. This past weekend, I took care of 2 houses at the same time. Granted, they were just 4 houses apart, but the back and forth just about killed me (not to mention a total of 5 dogs). And in the middle of that, I was driving to my house to help get it ready for company. Anyway, I either need a strong B-12 shot or sleep for days.
But speaking of company on July 4th, everyone came to the house and had a great time. Unfortunately, I did not get my camera out and take pictures because quite honestly, it was so hot and everyone spent the entire day in the pool. My Mom always does such a great job, making sure everything is nice and ready, not to mention having yummy food and drink. Anyway, the July 4th holiday will always hold my most favorite summer memories. It was a lot more fun when I was younger, because my grandparents would come to the city and spend the day with us. In fact, my Mom would beg them to spend the night, but they never would. My grandpa owned his own business, so it was really hard for him to get away from town, especially when people were constantly needing him there. They would get up super early, usually be at the house before I would even get out of bed, and stay until dark. Back when they could drive at dark, they would stay for fireworks at the house.
I’ll never forget when I was about 10 or so, there was a long sidewalk from the house to the pool. We usually set our lawn chairs up against the sidewalk and shoot off the fireworks from the yard. Well, that particular year, the “tanks” were very popular. You know…they are fireworks with wheels on them, so you light them, they shoot off a flame ball, then move somewhat forward (probably about 6 inches). Well, that time, after we lit it, the tank went under everyone’s chairs and was shooting off the flame balls at everyone – and moved several feet! Needless to say, I have never seen my family move faster in my entire life! That was so fun!
It’s on days like July 4th when I miss my grandparents the most. I remember them sitting under the apple tree, with the homemade ice cream maker going, watching the kids and grandkids swim, sometimes joining us in the pool. I miss the giant baseball caps and cowboy boots my grandpa wore. It would be 100 degrees outside, but he didn’t believe in shorts – just jeans. And when it came time to swim, he played the games with us like a kid himself. The last 4th of July we had with them, we had moved into the new house, but did not have a pool. In fact, it was really hot that day. We all sat in the shade under the tree and just talked. I had a blow up pool that I got in, but the cousins did not come that year to enjoy it – it was just me. I think we had horseshoes to pass the time, but rarely did anyone play. We just relaxed, enjoyed the company, and reminisced about the good days. Little did we know that we would lose them both just months later.
There are not many holidays that the entire family gets together, but this year’s July 4th happened to be one of them. And it was the best we’ve had in a really long time. I imagine my grandparents were in heaven, looking down on us and seeing what a wonderful time we were having. They were definitely there in spirit. I just hope they enjoyed the day as much as we did.
No comments:
Post a Comment