Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Part-Time Job

Since February , I have been working part-time at a funeral home in Moore…which is not very far from my house. It sure has been interesting working there, especially since I have only been to a handful of funerals in my lifetime. The first week was really hard on me – I could not help but think about these people that I write obituaries about, meet with family members and vacuum around – and I didn’t sleep. I did not have a good night’s sleep in over 3 weeks…

That is until the Lord gave me a peace about where I would spend my eternity. See, that was part of my problem. I would see these people lying in beautiful caskets, and I would wonder where they were spending their eternity. With some people, you can just tell. Others, you just wonder. And of course, every family is different. Some are grieving, some are angry; some are distraught, some are happy. It varies day to day. We have had everyone from a newborn to a 101 year old.

People ask me how I do it…how I can spend so much time around dead people. Well, I’ve gotten used to it. Now, its kind of fascinating looking at them because I have no worries. I know where I am going to spend my eternity after leaving this earth – in a heavenly place not so far away where all my troubles, fear, pain and hurt are all gone and I will experience an eternity of joy, laughter and happiness.

No comments: